Some of the best things about living in Northern Virginia are its family-friendly events, great school systems and safe housing, making it a desirable region for those raising a family. As such, Northern Virginia Magazine covers family-themed stories weekly (we even have an e-newsletter that’s sent out every Thursday). Below, find the top 10 family stories our readers loved most in 2019.
10. “8 NoVA spas that offer kids’ treatments”
You’re never too young for a little pampering. Make a spa day extra special with these kid-friendly treatments designed for you and your mini-me to enjoy together.
9. “10 Father’s Day events the whole family will love”
Dad might want to spend the day just “resting his eyes,” but these events were worth spending some time off of the couch on Father’s Day 2019. Keep your eyes peeled for our upcoming June issue, which will feature events coming to the region for Father’s Day 2020.
8. “9 unique and fun things to do with your mom for Mother’s Day”
We listed out the best local Mother’s Day events for sharing the day with your mom and celebrating the special relationship between you and her. Our May 2020 issue will once again list out need-to-know information on the best Mother’s Day events around Northern Virginia.
7. “Family spotlight: Here’s how news anchor Alison Starling and TODAY co-anchor Peter Alexander get it all done”
Alison Starling of WJLA/ABC-7 News and her husband, Peter Alexander, co-anchor of Weekend TODAY, share what their parenting timeline looks like in NoVA.
6. “10 birthday party venues your kids (and their guests!) will love”
These NoVA locations know how to party. All you have to do is send out the invitations.
5. “These are the best day cares and preschools in NoVA, according to readers”
The list includes more than 85 day cares and preschools throughout the Northern Virginia area, with details like class size and educational philosophy.
4. “Busy Bees opens third location at Fairfax Corner”
After years of success at its Falls Church and Chevy Chase locations, Busy Bees added another city to its list in 2019.
3. “Happy campers: The best NoVA summer camps for kids”
Endless summer? Nah, it only feels that way when you’re trying to fill it with experiences that will keep your kids fulfilled and enriched throughout the dog days. And while it might never feel normal to map out your kids’ entire summer before the season begins, here’s something that might make you feel a bit better about it: a massive list of camps chosen by our readers as the best of the best.
2. “46 places to take the kids trick-or-treating (and trunk-or-treating!) in NoVA this year”
This year for Halloween, we knew many parents were worried about being out late on a school night or trekking down dark neighborhood streets. So, we compiled a list of safe community events that were costume-worthy and stocked with sweet treats. Come next Halloween, we’ll do the same thing, and might even add in a fun, spooky story or two.
1. “34 traditional summer camps your children will love this year”
Is it really summer without a traditional summer camp experience? Here are the best camps around NoVA.
For more fun family stories, subscribe to our weekly newsletter.