By Stefanie Gans and Rina Rapuano
One of the criteria to make the 50 Best Restaurants list—besides amazing food and an atmosphere sliding between cozy-cool and fancy-festive—is table service. These days, some of the best bites requires a walk up to the counter. Here are our favorite casual places.
This post originally appeared in our November 2019 issue‘s 50 Best Restaurants cover story. For more food reviews, subscribe to our weekly newsletter.
• The Block for short rib pho “French” dip at Balo Kitchen and dessert at Snocream Company in Annadale
• Chop Shop Taco for Frito pie in Alexandria
• Fava Pot for egg dishes for dinner in Falls Church
• Hot Lola’s for a chicken sandwich (Warm + Tingling) in Arlington
• Old Dominion Pizza Company for a pepperoni slice in Arlington
• Pampa Sazone for arepas in Fairfax
• Pendleton Carryout Co. for Roman-style pizza in Alexandria
• Petite Loulou for a Croque Madam in Purcellville
• The Pit Stop for wings in Sterling
• Sloppy Mama’s for ribs and cornbread in Arlington
• A Taste of Jamaica for curry goat in Stafford
• Wooboi Hot Chicken for a chicken sandwich (Level Three) in Herndon