You may not realize it, but some of the things around your home could be toxic to your pets.
During this National Animal Poison Prevention Week, animal organizations want to make you aware of those dangers.
The Pet Poison Helpline lists the following things as toxic:
- Xylitol – The sweetener in sugarless gums, candies, and multivitamins causes a life-threatening drop in blood sugar for dogs, and liver failure, if they eat a lot of it.
- Medications – Pets can have serious stomach and intestinal ulcers and kidney failure if they eat acetaminophen, other pain relievers, or antidepressants. For cats, acetaminophen damages red blood cells. For dogs, they can have liver failure.
- Chocolate – Baker’s chocolate and dark chocolate are the most dangerous, especially for dogs. The methylxanthines in the chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, and seizures. It can be fatal for dogs.
- Flowers – Don’t bring lilies into your home if you have cats. A few eaten petals can cause kidney failure. Daffodils, tulips, chrysanthemums, and hyacinths should also be avoided. They can change heart and breathing rates.
- Fertilizers – Dogs that eat it could have problems that include watery eyes, pooping, and seizures. It can be fatal.
- Pest control products – Rodent bait can cause brain swelling, kidney failure, and blood-clotting problems. They can kill a pet. Snail and slug baits can cause tremors and seizures.
Should your pet ingest something poisonous, call your veterinarian, a pet emergency care facility, or the Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680.
For more stories like this, subscribe to Northern Virginia Magazine’s Pets newsletter.