Color us unsurprised that Middleburg’s Salamander Resort & Spa earned the coveted five-star rating from Forbes Travel Guide earlier this year. After all, it’s one of the most luxurious weekend getaways you can find in the region. Besides those five beautiful stars, here are five more reasons to visit the resort right now.
1. Come out of hibernation with the Spring Awakening spa package, which pampers through exfoliation, a hydrating facial and a rejuvenating massage. // $265 per person; 540-326-4055
2. Keep the kids happy with a variety of camp options, including a horse-themed one that allows wee ones to feed the horses and a nature-themed one that teaches them how to search for animal tracks while hiking. // Prices range from $50-$135; 540-326-4060
3. Harness the flavors of spring with a cooking class from the chefs at Harrimans Virginia Piedmont Grill, which allows guests to try their hand at making seasonal savories and sweets. // $79; 540-326-4070
4. Get to know Cupcake, the miniature horse, who joined the Salamander team about a year ago and welcomes guests in the resort’s living room Fridays and Saturdays at 4 p.m. He’s even inspired a cocktail available for $14 a pop.
5. Squeeze in the ubiquitous winery visit—but do it by bicycle. The resort offers a guided bike ride to nearby Boxwood Estate Winery and Mt. Defiance Cidery & Distillery for tastings Fridays and Saturdays at 11 a.m. through May. // $90 per person; 540-326-4060