1. The Wharf will be full of fun holiday activities during the DC neighborhood’s Holiday Boat Parade. After some Christmas entertainment, head over to the pier, where up to 60 decorated boats will light up the Washington Channel for the annual procession. A breathtaking fireworks finale will cap off the parade, leaving guests with a winter weekend to remember. // Dec. 7, 6-9 p.m.; District Wharf: 760 Maine Ave. SW, Washington, DC; free admission
This post originally appeared in our December 2019 issue. Stay up to date on the coolest events coming to town with our weekly newsletters. Plus, find everything you need to know about the holiday season in NoVA at our 2019 Holiday Headquarters.
2. Kick off the week of Christmas with a choreographed fireworks display during Mount Vernon’s Christmas Illuminations. Before the fireworks, grab some hot chocolate or cider and watch Colonial chocolate demonstrations or meet with Aladdin the camel. // Dec. 20 & 21, 5:30-8:30 p.m.; George Washington’s Mount Vernon: 3200 Mount Vernon Memorial Highway, Mount Vernon; $20-$36
3. Pack up the car and travel down to Colonial Williamsburg for the annual Grand Illumination firework display. The show will light up the night sky over three different locations; the Capitol, Magazine and Palace. Make a day of your trip, as the historic site will be holding special demonstrations, Christmas tours and carriage rides throughout the day. // Dec. 8, 7-7:30 p.m.; Colonial Williamsburg: 101 Visitor Center Drive, Williamsburg; free admission, $25 for premium seating
4. Make a special trip to Maryland to celebrate the Holidays at National Harbor. Just as the sun sets, guests can admire the fireworks display as it illuminates the night sky. Before the fireworks finale, stop by the harbor for a special ride on the Capital Wheel with Santa or hop on the carousel. // Saturdays through Dec. 21, 5:30 p.m.; National Harbor: 165 Waterfront St., National Harbor, Maryland; free admission
5. Ring in the new decade at First Night Alexandria. This family-friendly event features over 100 performances across King Street, including live music, dancers and children performers. At the stroke of midnight, a spectacular fireworks display will erupt over the Potomac River to kick off 2020. // Dec. 31, 6 p.m.-midnight; Old Town Alexandria; King Street, Alexandria; $25-$35, free for children under 12 and active military