You love doing yoga. You love baby goats (because, really, who doesn’t think they’re super cute?). Why not put them together? That seems to be the reasoning behind the somewhat inexplicable, but, yes, super cute, trend in yoga that’s currently sweeping the nation. Photos of yogis with baby goats on their backs have become a thing on Instagram and, this summer, NoVA has a baby goat yoga class to call its very own.
“To have the chance to practice yoga, but to do it outside, and with cute baby goats, in the sunshine with the cool breeze, it’s just a really nice mini-vacation,” says Gretchen Herring, owner of The Yoga Experience, about her summer yoga class at Restoration Acres in Fredericksburg. Check out the details on how you can practice your flow with an adorable farm animal below, plus four more of our outdoor yoga favorites for the summer.
1) Herring hatched the plan for goat yoga with her friend and farm owner, Kirstin Schmidt. Join the trend and try your hand at Baby Goat Yoga with The Yoga Experience at Restoration Acres. Reconnect with nature as you complete your vinyasas alongside baby goats (and an alpaca or two as your audience). Stay after class for some light refreshments and wine. // July 20; 9-10 a.m.; Restoration Acres: 10 Palomino Place, Fredericksburg; $35
2) Yoga or all-night rave? Sign up for Glow Yoga on the National Mall and get your Zen on with a side of glow sticks. Yogis of all fitness levels are welcome to sign up, slather on glow-in-the-dark body paint and then do some sun salutations as the sun sets. // July 9; 8 p.m.; National Mall: between Third St. NW and Fourth St. NW, Washington, DC; $25
3) If goat yoga didn’t put you into cuteness overload, there’s also a Puppy Yoga class available in Arlington. Practice yoga with the pups scampering around, then spend the last 15 minutes of the session cuddling with these cute four-legged friends. All puppies in attendance will be available for adoption through Homeward Trails Animal Rescue. Pre-registration is required. // July 17; 6 and 7 p.m.; Caring Hands Animal Hospital: 2601-A Wilson Blvd., Arlington; $37
4) Founder of Eat.Yoga.Drink., Erin Sonn, leads a Poolside Sunset Yoga class at a community pool in Fairlington as part of her ongoing practice of bringing traditional yoga to nontraditional spaces. Bring along your bathing suit and take a dip after class. Recommended for participants 10 and older. // July 11 & 16; 7 p.m.; Fairlington Meadows Pool: 3465 S. Utah St., Arlington; $10
5) Practice your skills on the rolling hills of the Paradise Springs Winery in Clifton at the picturesque Vinyasa & Vino in Paradise yoga class. Come for the posing, but stay for the complimentary glass of award-winning wine that’s included with class admission. This one’s also taught by Erin Sonn of Eat.Yoga.Drink. We’ll definitely drink to that! // July 21; 10:30 a.m.; Paradise Springs Winery: 13219 Yates Ford Road, Clifton; $30-$40