Northern Virginia’s much-anticipated food hall, Assembly, has opened in the newly renovated Rosslyn City Center, located above the Rosslyn Metro station. But don’t mistake it for a run-of-the-mill food court.
This globally inspired menu comprising six restaurant concepts was a carefully curated collaboration by a James Beard Award-nominated executive chef, Brian Huston, and Assembly’s executive chef, Cameron Cousin.
The duo created the food hall with a something-for-everyone approach, which resulted in a vast selection of culinary offerings that range from made-to-order deli sandwiches and all-day breakfast to Asian street food, vegan tacos, and a coffee shop and bakery.
Operated by Chicago-based hospitality group DMK Restaurants, Assembly spans 29,000 square feet across two floors, including a private event space and an outdoor terrace that is one of the largest al fresco dining experiences in Virginia.
The first floor is home to PNTRY, an upscale market and grab-and-go food bar offering breakfast, a salad bar, panini press, and 500-bottle wine cellar.
Unlike other food halls that might require diners to order at individual stalls, wait for their food, and then go find a seat, customers at Assembly can order right from their table via a QR code menu and have their food brought directly to them.
For the moment, Assembly is only offering a limited menu and is closed on weekends, but DMK Restaurants is anticipating a full opening in a few weeks. (Until then, check the website for hours and menus.) A full-service oyster bar and seafood restaurant, Fog Point, will also open soon.
Each of the six food hall concepts is currently serving several menu items for dine-in or online pickup:
- Sammy Pickles is a made-to-order sandwich shop offering six- and 12-inch sandwiches.
- Big Day Coffee offers drip coffee, espresso drinks, cold brew, iced tea, lemonade, and a variety of pastries.
- GiGi’s Greens & Grains serves salad, grain bowls, and smoothies.
- Beng Beng offers Asian street food such as chicken lemongrass dumplings, siu mai, tofu and noodles, and xiolongbao.
- Great Lake Diner is a classic American diner serving all-day breakfast, burgers, crispy chicken sandwiches, fries, and other comfort food.
- Charo’s Taqueria is a vegan-inspired taco bar with chorizo-style seitan tacos, churros y chocolate, and vegan black bean hummus.
Assembly is currently open Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., with lunch starting at 11 a.m. For more information, visit assembly-va.com.
For more foodie news, subscribe to our twice-weekly Food newsletter.