Finding a proper skin care regimen that fits for you is tricky, especially when your skin is maturing in ways you didn’t know it could. From understanding the science behind it all to deciphering your go-to products, there are a lot of things to consider when changing your skin care routine.
As we inch closer to the start of a new year, we chatted with Fairfax-based dermatologist Sarah Nakib, M.D., of Complete Dermatology and Bluemercury beauty expert, as well as Chantilly resident, Jennifer Lee. Highlights from our conversations are below.
What’s different about caring for aging skin than when you’re 20 years old?
SN: Mature skin has seen more of the harmful effects of the sun and thus is more prone to skin cancer and wrinkles. Therefore, it is even more important to have a healthy skin care regimen that includes daily sun protection and anti-aging creams. Also, mature skin is more susceptible to dryness and so it is very important to moisturize regularly.
JL: As we age, cellular turnover slows down. To combat that, it’s important to focus on refinement and re-texturizing. It’s beneficial to introduce a glycolic treatment, such as our bestselling M-61 PowerGlow Peel, that helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and improves overall skin tone, texture and clarity. We recommend to use it once a week and gradually build up to three times a week. This one-minute, one-step peel has such amazing results for our clients, one sells every 5 seconds!
For more beauty-related content sent directly to your inbox, subscribe to one of our newsletters.
If you had to choose, what are a few, key tips all women over 50 should know about skin care?
SN: Daily sunscreen has been shown to reduce the risk of certain types of skin cancer and to have anti-aging effects. So this is an important component to a healthy skin care regimen. Also, anti-aging products, particularly those that contain a retinoid can be drying. It is important to use them with a moisturizer and a hydrating emollient. Start them only a few times a week and gradually build up to nightly use as they tolerate.
JL: Consistency is key! Commit to a skincare regimen and follow every morning and evening. It’s very important to choose cleansers, moisturizers and a skin care routine formulated for your skin type. As we age, our skin changes, but we tend to use the same products that worked for us in our 20s, 30s and 40s.
Talk to me about the specifics of your recommended care ritual.
JL: It’s imperative to wear sunscreen every day! The easiest way to add to your routine is making sure your products are multi-purpose. A Bluemercury client-favorite is the Lune+Aster CC Cream with SPF 50. It protects your skin from harmful UV rays and pollutants, while keeping skin tone even and creating a flawless, dewy complexion. I also love incorporating a jade face roller into your morning routine. You can apply your hyaluronic or vitamin C serum, then roll into your skin while pushing excess fluid that is held stagnant beneath the tissue. By relaxing the facial tissue, via the roller, you can move fluid out and smooth fine lines and wrinkles.
What products do you recommend?
SN: There are several effective sunscreens both over-the-counter and at the dermatologist’s office. It may be helpful to see a board-certified dermatologist to get specific recommendations for a sunscreen based on an individual’s needs and skin conditions. Plus, it’s important to see a board-certified dermatologist for regular skin checks to ensure there are no concerning lesions that need attention and to address specific skin concerns or blemishes with a more customized regimen.
- There are several retinoids that are effective, including over-the-counter retinol products from certain brands or prescription retinoids, such as tretinoin or tazarotene.
- Emollients with ingredients such as hyaluronic acid and ceramides can hydrate the skin.
- Serums or creams with vitamin C can have antioxidant effects and brighten skin tone.
- Glycolic acid products can also have skin-brightening effects.
- Darphin Stimulskin Plus Multi Corrective Divine Serumask: The hybrid mask blends the benefits of Darphin’s iconic stimulskin serum with the indulgence of a mask … over time, skin texture is beautified, lines and wrinkles are visibly minimized, firmness is improved, and skin contours appear lifted and redefined. Bluemercury has an exclusive Darphin Stimulskin Skincare Set this holiday, which is the perfect time to try new skin care.
- M-61 Eye Concentrate: This super-peptide and hyaluronic acid-packed eye concentrate provides lasting hydration for up to 48 hours and helps to visibly firm, smooth and reduce the appearance of lines. It was so popular we were sold out after launch, but it’s just now back in stock!
- Crème de La Mer: This luxuriously rich cream deeply soothes, moisturizes and helps heal away dryness. Miracle Broth™—the legendary healing elixir that flows through all of La Mer products—infuses skin with sea-sourced renewing energies.