It’s one of the fastest and most popular hair-removal methods, but for the waxing novice, is the final product worth the pain? We picked up some tips from three recently opened NoVA waxing studios on how to make your experience as pain-free and effective as possible:
- Opt for places that use hard wax, which wraps around the hair rather than the skin.
- Popping an ibuprofen prior to the procedure usually isn’t necessary. Instead, ask your aesthetician to apply pressure to the freshly waxed area after each pull.
- Post-wax, opt for a moisturizing serum or natural oil, such as grapeseed, rather than lotion.
- For ingrown hairs, try an antibacterial serum.
- Expect some irritation, which should subside within a few hours.
- Avoid exercise or excess sweat to the waxed area until the day after treatment.
- Bikini waxes should remain effective for three to four weeks.
The Adara Skin Care Spa: With a lobby like a Greek courtyard—comfy white chaise lounges, a faux window and a wall fountain—this spa offers waxing, facials and lash services. The all-white studios are spotless and use aloe-infused hard wax.
Cera Wax Studio: Not only can you sip on a Pellegrino or soft drink while you wait in their lobby, but you can also play DJ in your treatment room. Post-treatment, enjoy the scent of organic grapeseed oil with lavender and grab a free chocolate or bag of mixed nuts.
Waxing the City: The orange-and-gray exposed brick and loungelike decor of Waxing the City may just make you forget you’re there to pull your hair out. Sample their body scrub in the restroom after your service and buy some in the lobby if you fall in love.