1717 K St. NW, Ste. 1110, Washington, DC, 20006
Nicholas Woodfield is a seasoned trial attorney with over 25 years of experience. He specializes in civil litigation and appellate advocacy and focuses on representing clients in retaliation cases, along with cases involving discrimination, whistleblowers, and more. Mr. Woodfield is a founding partner at The Employment Law Group® law firm and the firm’s general counsel.
Mr. Woodfield has won millions in judgments and settlements for his clients, including a $1.13 million Wage Payment Act judgment and multiple seven-figure class action settlements, and has received numerous awards for his work.
Mr. Woodfield has helped strengthen the laws protecting employees. Notable victories for clients include:
- A $650,000 jury verdict leading to one of the most important appellate decisions in Maryland employment law in the last decade, which ruled that companies are responsible for actions linked to a supervisor’s retaliation;
- A federal court decision expanding the protections of the FLSA to protect all employees who file reasonable, good-faith reports of overtime violations;
- An appellate ruling that whistleblowers only need a reasonable belief of a violation of the law in order to be protected under the Whistleblower Protection Act instead of needing to prove an actual violation;
- The first Sarbanes-Oxley Act decision in favor of a whistleblower to survive appeal and;
- The first Dodd-Frank Act whistleblower retaliation claim to survive a motion to dismiss in federal court.
College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
Federal Bar Association
National Employment Lawyes Association
Virginia Employment Lawyers Association, Past President
D.C. Bar Association
Honors & Awards
The Best Lawyers in America
Lawdragon, Top 500 Plaintiff-Side Employment Lawyers
Northern Virginia Magazine-Top Lawyer
Samford University – JD
University of Oxford, in England – Visiting Postgraduate Student in Law