Weight loss is a billion-dollar industry built on supplements and diets. It seems every week there is a new fad diet that promises amazing results that are better than the previous trend. One of the biggest issues with diets is they aren’t designed for achieving realistic, long-term fitness goals. They are built to offer quick fixes for the present. Simply put: Diets fail the majority of people because they are built to fail.
The best way to achieve long-lasting results that will stick around for years to come is to make small and simple changes to your nutrition and exercise habits. It might not sound as enticing as that diet that will get you shredded in 90 days, but it’s a practical approach that won’t leave you yo-yo dieting for years to come. Regardless of where you are in your health journey, we have three simple ways to repair a failed diet that you can try right now.
1. What you are eating: The first step to repair a failed diet is to look at what you are eating. Are you eating minimally processed foods that are rich in protein and full of vegetables and fruits? Or are you eating mostly processed food that’s low in protein and lacking vegetables and fruits? It’s key to cut back and eventually eliminate most processed, packaged foods and opt instead for meals with fewer ingredients, such as grilled chicken with rice and vegetables and spices to taste, instead of an instant meal found in the freezer section. Strive for those types of dishes for 90 percent of your meals, allowing yourself to break this mold the other 10 percent—everyone should enjoy a doughnut from time to time.
2. How much you are eating: The next step is to identify your portions and how much you are eating. This can be a game-changer for most people as portions are widely exaggerated. An easy way to make sure your portions are appropriate is to practice building your plate. Revisit our previous article on how to build your plate for tips and advice on achieving the right proportions.
3. How you are eating: The last step to repair a failed diet is to take a look at how you are eating. Are you eating slowly and mindfully, or are you eating fast and in a setting full of distractions (like in front of the TV)? If the latter, start by taking your time eating your meals and thinking about why you are eating. Make sure you are eating to fulfill a physical need and not out of boredom, stress or comfort. This practice can take some time, but by doing so, you will be more in tune with your needs, and your nutritional intake will mirror that mindfulness.
Jason DeHenzel has trained some of New York’s most prestigious clients, including high-profile lawyers, advertising executives, movie producers and musicians. Sophie DeHenzel is a Pn1-certified nutritionist and former downhill ski racer. The pair founded DeHenzel Training Systems, a 2015 Home-Based Business of the Year from the Loudoun County Chamber of Commerce. DeHenzel Training Systems develops customized fitness plans for clients of different abilities, experience and commitment. Find out more at dtsnova.com.