Throughout 2019, Northern Virginia Magazine readers flipped through our print publication, and scrolled through our newsletters and website for health tips, event roundups, in-depth features and wellness finds. Here are the 10 articles that resonated with you, our readers, the most over the past 12 months.
10. “Here’s what to expect at the inaugural Fairfax Veg Fest”
The inaugural, vegan Fairfax Veg Fest came to Herndon in April, featuring lectures on plant-based diets and their impacts on human health, the environment and more. Guests enjoyed food samples, chatting with local experts, family-friendly games and cooking demonstrations, as well as vegan and vegetarian vendors.
9. “13 turkey trots happening in Northern Virginia this month”
If it’s one thing in the fitness world Northern Virginians love, it’s running. Each year, we bring you a roundup of the best turkey trot races in the area for Thanksgiving. Want to celebrate New Year’s Day by running in a local race? Click here to see our roundup for ringing in 2020 with a runner’s high.
8. “Meet the man behind the nation’s first free, online breast cancer school”
Dr. John P. Williams is a NoVA-based surgeon helping breast cancer patients across the nation with his online resources. Last year, Williams launched a free video-based tutorial website, the Breast Cancer School for Patients. He narrates over 50 videos, the first free video tutorial series for all breast cancer patients nationwide (content is also on YouTube, with over 500,000 views and 3,300 subscribers).
7. “What it takes to be a top marathon runner at the Marine Corps Marathon”
The 44th annual Marine Corps Marathon was held on Oct. 27, in Arlington. We spoke with Frank Fumich to discuss the marathon, as it was the 100th marathon he’s completed.
6. “What is CBD and where can you find it in NoVA?”
From people to pets, CBD is known for easing pain and clearing anxiety. Here, we share where to find the best products in the region.
5. “Orangetheory Fitness launches Transformation Challenge, available to the public for the first time”
In early 2019, cult-favorite Orangetheory Fitness opened its annual Transformation Challenge to the public, with no need to commit to a membership for participants.
4. “Planet Fitness to open 5 NoVA locations, including its first in Arlington”
This year, the national fitness brand expanded its reach to Springfield and beyond, opening a total of five new locations throughout the region.
3. “Stay active and social with 10 adult sports leagues in NoVA”
Whether you’re in it to win it or just want to have some fun and meet new people, these sport leagues have you covered.
2. “Best of NoVA 2019: Fitness”
As part of our annual, reader-voted Best of NoVA issue, these are locals’ favorite gyms in Northern Virginia, broken down by categories, including barre, cycling, yoga, Pilates, boot camp and outdoor fitness, kickboxing, climbing and CrossFit.
1. “The St. James in Springfield offers more than just a gym”
This year saw the opening of the massive, 450,000-square-foot fitness destination, offering sports leagues, dining, family activities and more. Here’s your guide to The St. James.
For more health and wellness stories, subscribe to our weekly Health newsletter.